Sunday, August 23, 2009

Plan A... or Plan B?

*A red and white clad figure deftly steps from the shadows in silence, a piercing stare affixed within his deep blue eyes, his right hand upon the hilt of his sword ready to strike*

*sigh*
So I've been in something of slump spiritually, as well in my current employment situation, and I've been thinking lately about a some words spoken in recent weeks by three particular people in my church, all of whom I look up to with much respect. I say slump because that's pretty much what it is. As far as a job, I've gone through a lot of prospects but I either never hear back or it just doesn't work out. Meanwhile, spiritually, I've kinda slipped into a bit of a apathetic lethargy and I've let other things take priority over my spiritual walk with God. This has made it a little hard to seek him lately on a an important life decision I have to make rather soon. I've been meditating on these aforesaid spoken words and trying to apply them to my current situation .

The first word came from one of my young adult leaders durring our four-day outting at Lake Roosevelt the weekend before last. The first night he spoke, it was actually the second night of the trip, he talked about how there's been a lot of talk about my generation being called the "Joshua Generation" and how that's basically a huge missnomer in that it sets a high expectation on us to do great things now. He explained how it's really very unrealistic to expect teens and twenty-somethings right out of high school and college to do a bunch of great signs and wonders in the name of Christ right off the bat. For the most part, in general, we're still very inexperienced in how to do this propperly, we're still greenhorns to borrow the old colloquiallism. Sure, there were Josiahs in the Bible that did great things in God's name in their teens and twenties, but, as my good friend points out, there were even more examples like Moses and Elijah in their forties and older who where not only far older, but one could speculate they were also far more experienced and had walked with God longer. Simply put, don't let people look down on you because of your age, but don't try to grow up too fast either. We have a great inheritance as sons and daughter of the most high, but perhaps we should take a lesson from the prodigal son's story and wait until we're truly ready to move out into that inheritance.
The second night, he took his message a step further and disected the story further by saying there's a plan A and a plan B we can take. God has a plan for our lives, each and every one of us; that's plan A. As perfect as His plan is, though, we, in our simple-minded human thing, sometimes think we've got a better one, that we've got God all figured out and that we know more than he does. Indeed, it almost never fails that you even overhear someone telling themselves or others how they are God. Now, I don't know if you got the memo yet, but...
YOU'RE NOT GOD!!!
Contrary to popular belief, you didn't create the universe and it certainly doesn't revolve around you! If you were God, you wouldn't have the inherent ability to trip over you own shoe laces when you forget to tie them. There's only one God, He's got one plan and the fact is, it's the only perfect one. If we stray from God's plan A, we're then choosing our plan B, a plan which can take any number of forms. God can still work us back into His plan A if we come back to Him, but, like the prodigal, we will no longer have the full inheritance he planned to give us had we stuck to his plan A. In other words, keep trusting in God alone and eventually you will recieve his full inheritance for you.
This spoke to me on a number of levels, showing me how, because I listened to a lot of talk about how my generation is the "generation of change" or something like that, I had come to expect great things of myself when I still did not know what exactly those things were or even how the heck I was supposed to acheive them. Maybe I trying to hard to make my own plans come true. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to listen to God. All I know is, I'll never get it right if I keep trying to do this thing called life on my own outside of the original plan A. So, I'm asking God to help me trust him better and grow closer to him.

(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment